|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|
|Also Known As||
Auburn (book and anime)
Along with her older sister Éponine, Azelma is spoiled as a child and mistreated Cosette, but suffers from the same ragged and impoverished fate with her family when she is older. She also participates in Thénardier's schemes. She does not appear much, but she is shown to be close with Éponine.Unlike Éponine, Azelma is not independent. She also does not show any defiance towards her father (this is evident when, before Jean Valjean and Cosette’s charitable visit, Thénardier orders her to punch a windowpane in their apartment in order to look poorer. Although she is hesitant at first, she does so, resulting in cutting her hand). After the failed robbery of Valjean, she is not seen again until Marius and Cosette’s wedding day, when she and Thénardier are dressed up as "masks" for the Mardi Gras, and she follows Valjean under her father's orders.
At the end of the novel, Azelma and her father are the only known surviving members of the Thénardier family and both travel to America together where Thénardier becomes a slave trader.
- Azelma is not featured in the English musical adaptation. She is mentioned in the Original French Concept Album, when their mother dotes on her and Éponine when they are children. However, she does appear in some movie versions.
- Unlike Éponine, Azelma's exact age is unknown. She is estimated to be 15 or 16 years old as an adolescent, and about 7 years old as a child.
- The Polish form of her name is "Anzelma" or "Azelma", depending on translation.
- Azelma is also not in the 2012 film.
- At first she was supposed to be named "Gulnare".
- In the novel, "A Little in Love" by Susan E. Fletcher, (based off of the life of Eponine), Azelma plays a crucial role as her younger sister. She is given much more character development in this spinoff, as readers watch her grow from a tiny baby who loves dolls to a tough-as-nails fifteen year old with conflicted feelings torwards Eponine and her family.
List of PortrayersEdit
- Jaqueline Fermez - 1934 film (uncredited)
- Maxine Cook - 1935 film (uncredited)
- Yvonne Décade - 1958 film
- Catherine Di Rigo - 1982 film
- Veronika Bendová - 1998 film (Note: Azelma only appears as a child in this film.)
- Julie Dumas - 2000 mini-series (uncredited)
- Chihiro Yarita - Shōjo Cosette 2007 anime
- Denise Mellot - 1934 film (uncredited)
- Mary Adler - 1935 film (uncredited)
- Isabelle Lobbe - 1958 film
- Corinne Dacla - 1982 film
- Sophie Milleron - 2000 mini-series
- Kurumi Mamiyo - Shōjo Cosette 2007 anime